A shot of the fully painted closet area.
While I was removing all of the window coverings I noticed that whoever installed them was a doofus and I mostly could just grab them and pull them off the wall.
Because of that I briefly toyed with the idea of cutting around the shelves in these closets without actually removing them, since to do that would require removing actual screws from the wall and I didn't want to have any hassles trying to get them back on.
However it only took a couple of minutes in this particular closet to point out that it was not really a feasible idea at all. It might have worked in other closets, but in this one that awkward corner at the back with the two shelves meeting would have been not worth the effort.
Fortunately in the end it was pretty easy to get the shelves back up and sturdy.